what this is

This blog is unusual for for me. I think for the most part Blogging is the evidence of people being so in love with themeselves they think they are so important the whole world needs to know what time in the morning they brush their teeth (6:30 AM just in case your wondering). The Purpose of this Blog is 1: to do exactly what the title says. to wake up those that are dead in their sins to Life in Christ and wake the Christian sleeping in the self sufficiency of american prosperity both in and outside the Church. 2: to serve as repository of Inspirations, in word, audio or video that glorify Christ and help others to see him as the all-satisfying source of joy, purpose and destination for their lives. 3: for my friends, family, pastors, and church to be able to benefit from 1 and 2 and hold me accountable to live in every way to what I say and call me out in any amount of hypocrisy in a public way if need be.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

America's Ugly exported Gospel

Refering to the video I have posted on the side is part of a speech from John Piper, Piper is adressing one of the biggest problems in modern american evangelicalism, the prosperity gospel.
The prosperity gospel takes liberties with scripture where it assures us of God's provision and goes beyond and above what scripture says assuring health, wealth, and Prosperity. It completly forgets that we are called to -deny ourselves take up our cross and follow him-... Luke 9:23 and rejoice in our sufferings and more than once we are assured not of wealth but shame and persecution for knowing Christ. I do not presume for anyone to take a vow of poverty BUT wealth and prosperity (wich is always given by God) mainly used for our sole enjoyment is not what God intended for it. That is "elevating gifts above the giver". Instead we are to use it for eternal purposes to bless others. ultimatly using our abundance for eternal purposes is a million times more fulfilling in Christ than using it to satisfy our cravings.
My desire for myself and for those that read this is to know God and and his son Christ crucified for us, so well and intimitly that we can repeat that prayer, "God is enough" and with every fiber of my heart mind and soul believe and savor those words.

2 comments:

Knittygirl21 said...

I liked your message! That is so true! Churches tend to feed people a very watered down version of the Gospel message. God does want you to come follow Him, but there is a cost that comes with following Him; you have to be willing to give things up in your life and make changes. Some of those changes can be painful, but in the end it is for something far greater gained, a closer walk with Jesus. I have made my choice to serve God through good and bad times and to give up things that are keeping me from getting closer to Him. If only churches taught what Jesus said about serving Him. He says "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple. And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. Any one of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:26,33 Serving God means letting go of menial things that keep us from serving Him if you truly want to be His disciple.

Janet G. said...

Good meaty stuff in this blog Bryce! :) I admit, I was intimidated at first but we need blogs out there like this. :)

I hear you need to finish your papers so you can hang out with us at Fusion more!